27 Oct Reasons why you should learn to surf in Bali
Bali attracts surfers of all levels from all over the world. Bali hosts surf competitions, the island became the second home for surfers from different countries, and why thousands of new people with a passion for surfing keep coming over to this magical place. But there are many other places in Asia, where are you can go, but why learn to surf in Bali?
REASONS WHY LEARN TO SURF IN BALI IS SO POPULAR?
- Summer during all the year: the minimum air temperature is about +25 °C, the minimum water temperature is about +27 °C. The coldest months are July and August: during this time people, who live here a long time, start wearing wetsuits, because water feels too cold for them. But for tourists it still feels like the hot springs.
- Surfing season in Bali never ends. Sometimes the surf is flat, but it happens only a couple times a year and there is almost always somewhere with waves.
- There are about 50 surf spots in Bali for surfers of different skill levels. No matter who are you – beginner, advanced or Kelly Slater, you’ll find your own perfect wave!
- It’s pretty cheap. Food, restaurants, accommodation, night life are way cheaper than in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and USA.
- Culture and local people – you will fall in love with traditions of Balinese people.
ANSWERS TO THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IS SURFING THE RIGHT THING FOR ME?
There is only one rule: you can surf only if you… really want to surf and are ready to respect some simple rules. But make sure that your body will be ready to surf, because surfing physically demands flexibility, speed, strength (especially upper body strength), endurance etc. Fitness, jogging and swimming should become your best friends.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW, BEFORE I START TO SURF IN BALI?
Surfers spend a lot of time in the ocean, and the ocean can be dangerous and an unpredictable element. Sometimes it’s calm and perfect for swimming; sometimes it can teach you a lesson you’ll remember for the rest of your life. So the first thing, you MUST know, before you go surfing for the first time is to learn how to “read” the ocean. Reading the ocean means that you know about different types of waves and surf spots, how to survive in a rip current, how to read a tide chart and swell forecasts etc. because, as you know, not enough knowledge is a dangerous thing.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SURFBOARD?
First of all, FORGET ABOUT SHORTBOARDS for the first year of regular surfing. Of course after watching videos of professional surfers you can’t wait to try a shortboard too. But there is a common saying you have to walk before you can run , because it takes some time to get yourself ready for the world of real surfing. You will be stressed out after being washed away all the time, missing the waves and stuff like that, you’ll be disappointed and simply quit surfing, because you’ll think that it’s not for you.
The second thing is that on a longboard you will catch more waves. You will surf, not just sit on a line up and wait for a wave to come. And the more you surf, the faster you get experience, the better your skills are.
The best way to start with a board 8-9 ft, then ride a funboard or mini malibu 7-7,5 ft and after a few months you can enjoy a board about 6.5 ft. Anyway, by that time you will realize what board size is perfect for you.
IS SURFING SCARY? WHAT IS THE MOST DANGEROUS IN SURFING?
It depends only on you. You can give up after first gnarly wipeout or you can learn your lesson from it and overcome your fears. Some people still surf even after shark attack, some people give up after the first time they were washed by a wave. The most dangerous things are:
- Get hit by someone’s or your own surfboard
- Strong waves and riptides
- The ocean floor – to go to the bottom when waves breaking right on top of you.
WHY DO I NEED A SURF INSTRUCTOR?
Surfing is one of the most difficult sports. There are so many details you should know about before you learn to surf in Bali. Your instructor will:
- share everything he knows about surfing and ocean
- explain to you safety rules and be your bodyguard during a lesson
- help you to choose a surfboard
- tell you where and when it is better to go surfing
- explain to you Surfing Etiquette
- how and when to make a duck dive
- show you the easiest way to get to line up
- help you to stand up and make turns
- tell you when your wave is coming
- show you how to make surf tricks
- explain your mistakes
Surf instructors will be your teacher, angel and best friend. Without instructors your surf session will immediately turn into hell. Even if you are not a beginner, but want to make a progress – a surf guru will help you to improve your skills in a shorter period of time. But one thing we will tell you for sure – you will never regret about your decision to learn to surf in Bali!